How much does it cost to attend and what does that price include?
The price is $50.00 for registration. This price covers all costs for the weekend including transportation, meals, supplies and activities. The only additional cost would be for souvenirs. Students with financial need should apply for a scholarship or fee waiver. Information on these options will be available on our website. Please note, applicants are not required to send payment until after they've received notification of acceptance.
Why is there a registration fee?
The registration fee allows for more students to participate in the conference. It costs us $250 per student to put on the conference. When you get accepted into the conference, you get a discount of $200 off the total cost. $50 is the only cost each student will have to pay to participate and have an enjoyable experience.
Where are the pick-up locations for the buses and what time?
- Seattle (Parking lot of Nordstrom, next to Bahama Breeze at the West Field Shopping Center on Friday, November 13th at 7:30am)
- Pasco/Tri-Cities (Parking lot of Pasco High School on Friday, November 13th at 8:00am)
- Walla Walla (Parking lot of Walla Walla High School on Friday, November 13th at 10:00am)
- Wenatchee/Ephrata (Parking lot of Eastmont High in East Wenatchee on Friday, November 13th at 8:00am)
- Yakima (Bi-Mart Parking lot in Yakima on Friday, November 13th at 9:00am)
- Tacoma and Spokane (Locations TBD)
Where can I find a hard copy application packet?
There are no hard copy application packets this year. All interested students must apply online.
Do you have to be a Junior or Senior in order to attend?
Juniors and seniors will receive priority over sophomores and freshmen, but all students are encouraged to apply.
Why are there four people to a room?
Students should be aware they will most likely be housed 4 to a room and 2 to a bed. This is due to budget constraints. Students are encouraged to bring sleeping bags if they feel the need. Rooming assignments will be finalized as soon as we receive applications for the conference.
Is it possible to change my room assignment to people I know?
All participants are allowed to choose a roommate with the understanding that we will do our best to accommodate those needs, but that there is no guarantee. Please be sure to indicate your preferences on your online application form.
If I wanted a private room, could I pay the difference?
Unfortunately, no, because we host so many students at the conferences, there are not any available rooms at the hotel.
What about special dietary needs?
If you have dietary needs, please let us know in your registration information, so we can make the necessary arrangements.
What should I pack when I come? What should I prepare for?
You will receive a confirmation letter once you are approved with additional information, and here are some suggestions:
What to Bring:
Lunch for Friday, personal hygiene products (shampoo, deodorant, soap, etc. - some will be available at the hotels), comfortable and warm clothing/shoes, water bottle, alarm clock, snacks for the bus ride and during the weekend, attire for the banquet (semi-formal or business), a small backpack, sleeping bag (if desired, students will share queen beds).
What not to Bring:
Electronics (IPods, PSPs, etc.) that might be stolen or broken, weapons, drugs, alcohol, a bad attitude.
In attending the Conference, participants should be prepared to:
- Attend and participate in each session of the Conference, understanding that participation can mean listening, sharing viewpoints, fully participating in the experiential activities or supporting those who do.
- Refrain from using alcohol or other drugs while at the conference.
- Take responsibility for their own learning.
- Agree to ask questions if they don't understand, participate even if they have done an activity before, and challenge themselves to step out of their "comfort zone."
- Respect individual differences and the dignity of all people.
- Keep an open mind and strive to learn a new perspective on the world.
- Not leave the Conference property without permission from a University Official.
- Respect the conference property and treat it accordingly.
- Engage others in the lifelong learning process after the conclusion of the Conference.
- Do a lot of walking around campus
How will I know that all of my material was received?
You will receive an email confirmation concerning your application. You may also be contacted via phone if we need to follow up, so please be sure you include a working phone number in your online application.
If I've attended one of the conferences before, can I attend again?
Yes, you can, however priority will be given to students that have never attended.
Can I invite my friend to come if their school is not listed on the list of target schools?
Yes, you can invite others to apply. However, they will have to be able to meet at one of our previously selected pick up locations and we cannot guarantee that they will be accepted as a participant.
Can one of my parents attend with me?
Yes, your parent can apply to attend as a chaperone. They will need to fill out the chaperone application form, complete a background check form and pay the same fee as the student participants. All chaperones will be notified if they are accepted, as we are usually unable to accommodate all chaperone applicants.
I've been to a visitation event at WSU before, will this conference be the same as that?
No, this conference is organized by current college students and is aimed at giving you the resources and experience of college with a specific focus on Latina/o Chicana/o culture.
What are the selection criteria?
The selection criteria are based upon class status, essay question, GPA, initiative, involvement and demand.
How many students are accepted to attend?
Generally speaking, we receive around 300 applications and we accept approx. 220 participants.
What does it mean when it says this conference is "student led"?
By 'student led' we mean students that attend WSU plan, organize and run the conference. WSU students created and developed CASHE from its inception which creates a very unique and empowering experience.